BLOG HAS MOVED!!!

Please visit www.todayonthelightrail.com! :)

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

"These guys are about as much fun as a tax audit..."

Today on the light rail, I met a retired Navy SEAL. 

Bonus points if you know which movie the above quote is from. Text me or comment to win your prize.

I never thought I'd be standing next to a Navy SEAL...never in my life.  He was obviously VERY retired and experienced some crazy shit from his days in the Navy.  Why do I know that?  Because he had this cushiony head protector on.  And how did I know he was a Navy SEAL? Because there was a patch on the back of his helmet.

Navy SEAL: "When I was your age, we didn't have those cell phones or iPods."
Me: "Yeah but you had the radio and girls had to wear dresses!"
Navy SEAL: "Those ladies sure were perdy. When I was your age I was fighting in a war.."
Me: "Oh yeah? Well I know I appreciate your service."
Navy SEAL: "Yeah you young people don't know how good you have it..watching your friends die..you couldn't keep people close to you back then because they'd just die..."
I smile and nod...and go back to texting Alex...
uhhhh this man is more depressing than the emails my mom sends me....
Navy SEAL: "That war goin on is nothin like when I was your age...it was much scarier and all these babies whining about being overseas need to suck it up.  I was a SEAL..do you know what that is?"
Me: "Yes sir."
Navy SEAL: "I used to be the guy you didn't mess with.  But now I'm too old, so I'm not scary am I?"
I just chuckle..

At this point some other man is speaking to him...I try to listen but just hear the words "iPod" and "cell phones" like a thousand times.  I think he's repeating our conversation with somebody else.

Moral of the story: When you were my age, you probably didn't blog about people that said 'when I was your age'.

BTW, I DO have a picture of this guy but something is holding me back from posting it......I may edit later...



Happy Happy Birthday to a loyal reader and friend, Andrea!! May today and your next year be full of laughter!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment